Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Review: White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L.Armentrout

White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L.Armentrout

Book 1 of The Dark Elements Series

Synopsis:
One kiss could be the last. 

Seventeen-year-old Layla just wants to be normal. But with a kiss that kills anything with a soul, she's anything but normal. Half demon, half gargoyle, Layla has abilities no one else possesses. 

Raised among the Wardens—a race of gargoyles tasked with hunting demons and keeping humanity safe—Layla tries to fit in, but that means hiding her own dark side from those she loves the most. Especially Zayne, the swoon-worthy, incredibly gorgeous and completely off-limits Warden she's crushed on since forever. 

Then she meets Roth—a tattooed, sinfully hot demon who claims to know all her secrets. Layla knows she should stay away, but she's not sure she wants to—especially when that whole no-kissing thing isn't an issue, considering Roth has no soul. 

But when Layla discovers she's the reason for the violent demon uprising, trusting Roth could not only ruin her chances with Zayne… it could brand her a traitor to her family. Worse yet, it could become a one-way ticket to the end of the world.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just received my copy of 'White Hot Kiss' by Jennifer Armentrout from the mail yesterday and being the massive fan of Jennifer's works that I am, I was beyond excited to re-read the book! I already bought the e-book and read it sometime last year but I couldn't help myself so I bought the hardcopy as well :)
Let's start on the characters. I loved Layla, the main character so much. She's absolutely hilarious and also very stubborn and determined to get what she wants.

"Unlike other Wardens, I couldn't shed my human skin and kick major behind, but hair-pulling flipped my bitch switch like no one's business" 

Layla is half demon-half Warden, but she lives with the Warden. She basically has this craving to take souls but she can't for obvious reasons (duh). Cue the love interest. Zayne, the son of the leader of the Warden Clan. He's like a brother to her but she has feelings for him that she knows will never be reciprocated because of the fact that she's half demon, and she can never get too close to him or she might suck his soul out (the horror!)

Then comes in Roth, the Crown Prince of Hell who swoops in and Layla falls in love with. Classic bad-boy swoops in to save damsel in distress scenario. However, I still fell for Roth really hard because, well he's funny, hilarious, cocky yet has a soft side for Layla which I find absolutely adorable.

"If I say thank-you, will you go away?"
"Yes."
"Thank you," I said eagerly.
"I lied."
"What?" I looked up at him frowning. "That's messed up."
Roth leaned down so that our faces were inches apart. God, he smelled wonderful. I closed my eyes briefly and I swore I could feel him smile. 
"I'm a demon. I tend to lie from time to time"

This book was more of a romance and a love triange between Roth, Layla and Zayne rather than an action packed book. Don't get me wrong, there was still some terrific ass-kicking scenes which I loved, but it was more of a romance, which is not a problem for me at all! I'm a huge sucker for romances so naturally I fell in love with this book.

Overall, I really really enjoyed this book and would give it a 4/5 !The writing is enjoyable and would make for a good, quick light read that would definitely make you squeal over the hot main characters and fangirl over them (not that I'm currently doing that).

There is now also a sequel to the book, Stone Cold Touch.
And there's more! The third book, Every Last Breath, is coming out on the 28th of July by Harlequin Teen, so don't miss it!

Hope you enjoyed this review, let me know what you think! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to leave any comment below just to say hi or to drop me a little message - I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible!