Saturday, June 20, 2015

Review: The Heir By Kiera Cass



The Heir by Kiera Cass

Book 4 of the Selection Series

Synopsis:
Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay let me start off by saying how excited I was for this book - though The One was a bit of a disappointment, I still love the series a lot because the first two books were amazing which made up for the last book so naturally when I found out that a fourth book was being released, I went into a state of shock, followed by hyperventilation and finally ended up with me sitting in front of my calendar and counting the days.

But now that the book is out and I've read it I have to say it's a bit of a disappointment. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't a complete disaster it just didn't have that wow-factor and by the time I finished the book, I was a little bored and very frustrated.

The book starts off with Maxon and America's daughter Eadlyn(if you haven't read the Selection series yet beware spoiler alert!)having her own selection because of political unrest. This is about 20-30 years fast-forward from where we last left off from The One, where all the casts are destroyed and gone, and the selection process was taken away as well but now the citizens are unhappy so to make them pleased the King and Queen decide to hold a Selection.

Now, as the story beings Eadlyn isn't too happy with this and this is where I got a bit irritated. She was so spoilt and snobbish, turning her nose up and everyone and everything but on the plus side I like that she knew exactly what she wanted and didn't apologise, unlike America who was full of indecision. People either hate her or they love her- in the very begining part of the Selection, she sent away 11 suitors without hesitation and didn't feel an ounce of sympathy or guilt. There was this one particular quote that I really liked that made me instantly fall in love with her. "I only have one heart, and I'm saving it" 

Let's talk about the plot. For me, the plot was a little dry and boring, particularly lacking in the romance department. There were no bits that made me go "awww" or any parts that made my heart melt to mush. There's the obvious love interest, Kile, who I'm almost 100% sure she's going to end up with but they were too quick to get together. There was no build up - they almost went from hating each other to "let's make out in the closet together but don't tell anyone" which was a bit of a problem for me. However, that aside they were still pretty cute and I loved the little arguments and bickering they had between the 2 of them.

Overall, I'd give this book a 3/5. It wasn't terrible and overall okay, but just not quite what I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to leave any comment below just to say hi or to drop me a little message - I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible!