Sunday, April 19, 2015

Review: The Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

The Red Queen
by Victoria Aveyard


Book 1 of The Red Queen Series
(Book 2 expected to come out 2016)


Let me just start of by saying that this book was by far one of the best books I've ever read in my whole life. When I first started I was a bit skeptical but as I got deeper into the book I fell in love with it more and more.

First things first: Look at the cover! Isn't it just beautiful? I hate it when really good books have horrible covers and terrible blurbs- it just doesn't do this book any justice. But The Red Queen's cover is just really really appealing to the eye and the blurb describes the book perfectly:

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?


Now onto the book itself:
AHHH I'M STILL REELING FROM THAT PLOT TWIST

I was Team Maven the whole way until the plot twist and my reaction was pretty much

description
and then

description
which was then followed by

description
I CAN'T BELIEVE MAVEN BETRAYED THEM! WHY GOD WHY
But all things said, this book was absolutely amazing. I was glued from the cover page right up to the very last sentence, and I was totally mind blown at the end. SO GOOD THOUGH SO GOOD. 
At the beginning I was a bit doubtful cause of all the hype this book got and let's face it: the books that are the most hyped often let you down really badly. But this book was fantastic and I loved every second of it.

MAVEN MAVEN MAVEN. Words cannot express how much I'm in love with him. 

description
He's like your favourite YA male characters rolled into one. *swoons* I shamelessly admit that I'm still Team Maven even if he did betray Mare. 
BUT NEEDLESS TO SAY I STILL SUPPORT CAL. ARGH THE STRUGGLE. 
CAL OR MAVEN?

So of course, by the time I finished reading the book at around 12 something ish at night (thanks alot Victoria Aveyard) I searched for the second book only to find that it's only coming out in 2016 by Harper Teen. 1 more year? 1 more freaking year? Are you kidding me? I don't think I can wait that long. 

Sigh, the struggles of a reader. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to leave any comment below just to say hi or to drop me a little message - I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible!